[3dem] IHRSR++ and SPIDER 21.02

Edward Egelman egelman at virginia.edu
Sun Mar 6 05:34:28 PST 2016

But what you wrote is not a selection rule! What you wrote is a
description of a helix in terms of u/t, where u (units) and t (turns)
are both forced to be integer. The "selection rule" is l=tn + um. The
problem with the integer ratios is that they do not simply provide
visual meaning. From my 2007 J. Structural Biology review about IHRSR:

"Consider an example with actin. For “u/t=13/6”, the helical repeat is
355Å, and
the angle between subunits is 166.1538°. But now change the twist
between subunits by 0.128°, so the angle is
166.2818°. The symmetry is now most simply expressed as
u/t=1299/600, and the helical repeat changes from 355Å to
35,463Å! This argues that the classical formalism generates
an ill-conditioned problem."

So it is worth getting into this.
Regards,
Ed