[3dem] Contamination guessing

Petya Violinova Krasteva pvk2 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:28:27 PST 2016

Hey Marcus,

We had a similar case working with bacterial samples (check out PMID:
25876066). In our case, it turned out to be AdhE spirosomes that both our
group and others thought to be something different to start with (RecA
nucleofilaments, type II pseudopili, etc.) but we managed to identify it
correctly. Plants seem to have a mitochondrial homolog that in some cases
could be abundant. Might be a long shot but worth to check it out for your
particular system.

In our PLoS Path paper we ended up purifying the filaments for
identification by MS. You should be able to reproduce the purification
protocol from the paper if you need to, but let me know if you need
details. Also, we bought an anti-AdhE antibody from a company called
Agrisera, that reacted with our homolog as well.

Good luck,

Petya

Petya V. Krasteva

Post-doctoral Research Associate