[3dem] Postdoc Position at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

Furukawa, Hiro furukawa at cshl.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:31:59 PDT 2016

The laboratory of Hiro Furukawa (http://furukawalab.labsites.cshl.edu/) at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) is seeking postdoctoral fellows with dynamic interests in solving questions in basic neurological processes and neurological diseases using structural, biochemical, and biophysical techniques. As in the previous advertisement, CSHL is installing Titan-Krios on-site. We are also on our way to organize a hands-on cryo-EM course.  Thus, along with the famous x-ray crystallography course, CSHL provides an exciting environment to learn and conduct various structural biological techniques. The Furukawa lab conducts x-ray crystallography and cryo-EM on transmembrane proteins to understand basic mechanisms of ion and substrate transport and on fragments of water soluble domains to answer specific pharmacological questions at high-resolution. We use diverse techniques to address protein functions including electrophysiology, imaging, calorimetry, and phage-display. We also attempt to understand critical protein-protein interactions in signal transduction cascades in neurons and cancer cells using a combination of proteomics, electron microscopy, and x-ray crystallography. Other projects involve structure-based protein engineering of therapeutic antibodies and developing tools for facilitating structural biology. A qualified candidate should hold or soon expected to hold (within ~1yr) Ph.D. in the area of crystallography, cryo-EM, or biophysics and have experiences in basic molecular biology and protein expression/purification. Experience in x-ray crystallography or cryo-EM is desired but not necessary. Please visit the Furukawa lab website (http://furukawalab.labsites.cshl.edu/) to learn more about the lab before you apply and send your CV with a brief research statement (what you did up to now and what you would like to accomplish scientifically during postdoc) as well as 2-3 contacts for references to furukawa at cshl.edu<mailto:furukawa at cshl.edu>. If you have any question regarding the available postdoctoral positions, about the lab, or about Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, please feel free to email me at the above email address.

Sincerely,

Hiro Furukawa
Associate Professor
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory