[3dem] Electron Microscopy Laboratory Manager post in London

Carolyn Moores c.moores at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 04:50:47 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

A reminder that the Department of Biological Sciences, Birkbeck College
London, is seeking a committed and creative electron microscopist to be
our Electron Microscopy Laboratory Manager.

Candidates should have extensive experience in transmission electron
microscopy, ideally cryo-electron microscopy, and good familiarity with
the recent advances in electron microscopy. We also welcome applicants
from engineering or materials science backgrounds with motivation to
learn structural biology methods.

The Laboratory Manager will be jointly responsible for efficient
operation of our EM facility as a whole, including microscopes, user
training and support, together with our in-post high resolution EM
Facility Manager. Excellent communication skills and teamwork are essential.

The Birkbeck EM lab is located in an outstanding, collaborative
environment for structural, molecular and cellular biology, in the
Crystallography section of the Department of Biological Sciences, which
forms part of the joint Institute for Structural and Molecular Biology
with University College London. The EM lab is equipped with a 300 kV
Polara microscope and a 200 kV FEG system with K2 and DE20 direct
electron detectors, 120 kV, 100 kV cryo microscopes, and new funding for
a latest generation cryo microscope. We also have sample preparation
equipment for single particles, high pressure freezing, vitrified
sections and freeze substitution.
http://people.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/~ubcg16z/empage.html

For details and application forms, please see:

http://tinyurl.com/jsta4z7

Best wishes,
Carolyn Moores, Helen Saibil, Elena Orlova, and Gabriel Waksman