[3dem] two postdoctoral positions in my laboratory

Jiang,Qiu-Xing qxjiang at ufl.edu
Thu Apr 7 12:45:40 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

Sorry if this crams your mailboxes. I would like to take the liberty to advertise two new postdoctoral positions that are becoming available in my laboratory. If you could, please kindly help bring them to the attention of those who you think might be interested in or fit into them.

The first position is for someone who is interested in using the cryo-EM technology to work on biological questions. Its work is aimed at using our new ChemiC method and revealing the structural basis for the new ion channel phenomena my laboratory identified in the past few years: 1) the lipid-dependent gating of voltage-gated ion channels and its possible tie to lipid-metabolic defects; and 2) the molecular physiology underlying the well conserved regulated secretory pathway from protists to human and its connections to human diseases. A prospective candidate for this position will benefit greatly from good molecular biology and biophysical training and would need a good sense in understanding or learning the biochemical and biophysical analysis of ion channel functions and cryo-EM methods. Prior experience with TEM imaging and data analysis would be a plus, but not absolutely essential.

The second position seeks a scientist with experience in materials science and having some prior experience and/or strong interest in cryo-EM imaging and data analysis. The incumbent candidate is going to advance from the two technologies recently developed in my laboratory: the chemical functionalization of nanometer-thick carbon (ChemiC) films and the bead-supported unilamellar membrane (bSUM) system. He/she will create new systems that might have something or nothing to do with the past developments in the laboratory. I would imagine that an appropriate candidate would be greatly facilitated by good knowledge in chemical and physical construction and analysis of different materials, and his/her past experience in EM examination of different materials and image analysis would make important contributions to his future work in this position.

University of Florida has all well-performing facilities needed for these two positions and we joined the NIH-supported Consortium led by Prof. Kenneth Taylor, whose  Titan Krios facility at Florida State University is fully geared for atomic-resolution cryoEM imaging.  Compensations for these positions will match the experience and training of the candidates and will follow NIH guidelines. The initial duration of these OPS positions will be one year with possibility of extension that will be hinged on enough funding and proper progress. If two year contract is needed, please let me know in advance. Interested individuals please provide me via email at qxjiang at ufl.edu<mailto:qxjiang at ufl.edu> with a packet that among other things, should include an update cv with a list of peer-reviewed publications, a personal statement of research interest and career development plan, and contact information for 2-3 references.

The positions will remain open till being filled. UF is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer, and will provide accommodations for those in reasonable needs.

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

-
Qiu-Xing Jiang
Dept. Microbiology & Cell Science at UF IFAS
Faculty Director of EM  at UF ICBR   |  biotech.ufl.edu<http://www.biotech.ufl.edu>
1355 Museum Drive, Rm 1003
PO Box 110700, Gainesville, FL 32611-0700, USA