[3dem] Hardware Stereo

Petr Leiman petr.leiman at epfl.ch
Fri Oct 16 04:56:32 PDT 2015

Hi Pradeep,

We have got
Acer Predator XB270HA
NVIDIA K5000
nVidia GeForce 3D Vision2 kit
working beautifully on a i7-4930K 32GB machine (Ubuntu 14.04 and nVidia drivers). Even though the K5000 card has a lot fewer CUDA cores that GeForce GTX780 (the original card), Chimera and Coot run so much smoother on that K5000 card. And the stereo is really really nice. Some people say that it feels more real than the passive movie theater-like setup. Perhaps, it’s the price tag on the whole thing that supplies this additional satisfaction component to the perception…

In any case, the setup helps a lot with low resolution (~4A) model building of large structures so it’s worth the money. The computer now runs two monitors (one stereo and one mono) and Nvidia drivers are clever enough to automatically switch between stereo and mono when you drag a window from one monitor to the other.

The K5000 card is now outdated. I believe the new version is K5200 with even more memory at the same price.

Petr