[3dem] beryllium cryo blade

Roberto Marotta Roberto.Marotta at iit.it
Wed Oct 14 01:40:03 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,
my name is Roberto Marotta and I'm Research Technologist at the electron microscopy lab of the Italian institute of technology (IIT, www.iit.it<http://www.iit.it>), a foundation intended to promote Italy's technological development and advanced education.

We have in our EM Lab a TEM/STEM 200 kV Tecnai G2 F20 tween field emission microscope, equipped with Gatan ultra-scan 1000 CCD, HAADF detector for STEM imaging , Gatan Enfinium spectrometer for EELS, and cryo-box for performing cryoEM and cryo-tomography.

We are evaluating to substitute the cryo-box with beryllium cryo-blades, since we are interested in performing also EDX analysis and the EDX detector is incompatible with the cryo-box.

My question is: do you know how do the beryllium cryo-blades work in avoiding ice-contamination?
Since we routinely do cryoEM and electron cryo tomography on a variety of samples including proteins, do you think the cryo-blades are a good solution? Do you suggest a particular beryllium cryo blade design (double blade or tubular) for high resolution cryoEM imaging?

Any suggestion is really welcomed,

Thank you in advance for your kindness,

Roberto

Roberto Marotta, PhD - Research Technologist
Electron microscopy lab, Nanochemistry Department
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, IIT
Via Morego 30, 16163 Genoa, Italy
email: roberto.marotta at iit.it
t: +39 010 71781 897