[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Morgan Beeby m.beeby at imperial.ac.uk
Sun May 3 06:10:16 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in to support openness, but also to respond to Sjors'
comment about potential dangers of revealing one's identity as a reviewer.

In the era of intense pressure to 'succeed' as a new PI, requirement to
reveal one's identity might easily lead to a junior PI holding back on
full criticism in reviews of established PIs (who are likely to
reciprocally review one's own manuscripts), while senior PI colleagues
with less at stake (i.e., careers that don't hang on a single
publication) could afford to be more open with full criticism. I'm not
suggesting senior colleagues are 'out to get' junior colleagues! (indeed
-- open criticism is needed to mature as scientists). But (quite
possibly subconscious) self-censorship surely cannot be a good thing?
Anonymous peer review circumvents any such potential power imbalance.

I've really appreciated past reviewers revealing their identity to me in
person, as that has often facilitated great discussions. In my opinion,
however, the system is fairest if reviewer anonymity is the default
option that can be opted out of either on paper, or in person.

Morgan

--

Morgan Beeby, Ph.D.