[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Christoph Hagen christoph at strubi.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 2 12:09:51 PDT 2015

My first comment to 3DEM, let's start the British way:
Thanks, Nikolaus Grigorieff, for that plea for mutual trust
(supporting, in consequence, a double-open approach).
It is all an ongoing discussion (see, for instance,
http://occamstypewriter.org/scurry/2015/04/29/amend-laws-scholarly-publication/),
and there are (since 2001) working models up in the air
(http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fncom.2012.00033/full;
see also
http://www.laborjournal-archiv.de/epaper/LJ_15_04/#14 -
unfortunately only in German). This ACP journal has even an
in-built pre-publish archive with its "discussion papers".
And thanks to Friedrich for kindling this discussion also here.

Christoph

On 02/05/2015 17:39, Nikolaus Grigorieff wrote:
> I have been a supporter of open sharing of data for many years, and I am
> very happy that deposition of maps and, more recently also entire
> datasets has become the standard in our field. I appreciate the forceful
> statements made by Ed and others and, of course, I support the spirit in
> which they are made. Nevertheless, even though it is important to remain
> positive, I feel compelled to add to this discussion that there is also
> abuse of the anonymous reviewing system. While this fact is not disputed
> by anybody, and it does not automatically mean that there is a different
> system we should adopt, it validates the worries that some have voiced.
> I also would like to point out that there is some importance in ensuring
> fair and unbiased reviews. It is true that for many of us one of the
> main reasons for doing science is the enjoyment we get from our work.
> However, I think that there are also a number of other reasons for being
> in science including, for example, a job with a career, financial gain
> (especially in scientific publishing) and curing a disease. Whether or
> not a paper is reviewed while observing high ethical standards may
> therefore have a real-life impact on people’s trajectories, both in
> science and in areas benefiting from it. For those of us already
> established this may be less of a worry but those trying to get in, a
> lot could be riding even on a single publication.
>
> What I find lacking a bit in our current system is the accountability of
> the reviewers. I agree that trust is part of the reviewing process,
> ideally in both directions, but I find it a bit single-sided to see the
> need for accountability only on the side of the scientific contributors.
> If social media has taught us one thing, it is that people who do not
> need to worry about accountability sometimes also feel free to abandon
> ethical standards. For the reviewing system to work, we also have to
> think of ways to hold reviewers and editors accountable. I mention
> editors because they play an important role as the stewards of the
> reviewing process. For obvious reasons their interests may not always
> align with the noble pursuit of science but focus more on making money
> for the journal they are working for. In this respect I have come to
> appreciate the system adopted by eLife. I agree with Sjors that it is
> not always helpful to reveal your identity as a reviewer, especially if
> this may prevent you from giving your honest and unbiased opinion.
> However, at eLife, even if a reviewer chooses not to reveal their name
> they are known during the review process to the other reviewers.
> Furthermore, the editor of a paper is a practicing scientist with a
> general understanding of the subject of the paper under review, and
> without an obvious conflict of interest that an editor at a for-profit
> journal may face. Finally, besides being open-access, eLife also
> [...]

Christoph Hagen, Dr. rer. nat. habil.
OPIC-Oxford Particle Imaging Centre
Division of Structural Biology
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
Henry Wellcome Building for Genomic Medicine
Roosevelt Drive
Headington
Oxford
OX3 7BN