[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Nikolaus Grigorieff niko at grigorieff.org
Sat May 2 09:39:28 PDT 2015

I have been a supporter of open sharing of data for many years, and I am
very happy that deposition of maps and, more recently also entire
datasets has become the standard in our field. I appreciate the forceful
statements made by Ed and others and, of course, I support the spirit in
which they are made. Nevertheless, even though it is important to remain
positive, I feel compelled to add to this discussion that there is also
abuse of the anonymous reviewing system. While this fact is not disputed
by anybody, and it does not automatically mean that there is a different
system we should adopt, it validates the worries that some have voiced.
I also would like to point out that there is some importance in ensuring
fair and unbiased reviews. It is true that for many of us one of the
main reasons for doing science is the enjoyment we get from our work.
However, I think that there are also a number of other reasons for being
in science including, for example, a job with a career, financial gain
(especially in scientific publishing) and curing a disease. Whether or
not a paper is reviewed while observing high ethical standards may
therefore have a real-life impact on people’s trajectories, both in
science and in areas benefiting from it. For those of us already
established this may be less of a worry but those trying to get in, a
lot could be riding even on a single publication.

What I find lacking a bit in our current system is the accountability of
the reviewers. I agree that trust is part of the reviewing process,
ideally in both directions, but I find it a bit single-sided to see the
need for accountability only on the side of the scientific contributors.
If social media has taught us one thing, it is that people who do not
need to worry about accountability sometimes also feel free to abandon
ethical standards. For the reviewing system to work, we also have to
think of ways to hold reviewers and editors accountable. I mention
editors because they play an important role as the stewards of the
reviewing process. For obvious reasons their interests may not always
align with the noble pursuit of science but focus more on making money
for the journal they are working for. In this respect I have come to
appreciate the system adopted by eLife. I agree with Sjors that it is
not always helpful to reveal your identity as a reviewer, especially if
this may prevent you from giving your honest and unbiased opinion.
However, at eLife, even if a reviewer chooses not to reveal their name
they are known during the review process to the other reviewers.
Furthermore, the editor of a paper is a practicing scientist with a
general understanding of the subject of the paper under review, and
without an obvious conflict of interest that an editor at a for-profit
journal may face. Finally, besides being open-access, eLife also
publishes the exchange between reviewers and authors for papers that are
ultimately published. I therefore think that eLife has made a
substantial step towards a more transparent and fairer system. In this
regard, a recent blog post by Science Careers may also be interesting to
read:

http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2015_01_27/caredit.a1500025

Regarding the sharing of 3D maps with the reviewers, one way to reduce
the potential risk of abuse might be to share only boxed-out regions of
the map that are needed to support the claims made in the publication.
This would allow reviewers to inspect these parts of the map while the
map fragments could not so easily be used as a reference structure for
another project. This is still not foolproof, of course, but it may help
balance a little more the positions of authors and reviewers.

     Niko

>>> 3dem mailing list
>>> 3dem at ncmir.ucsd.edu