[3dem] Manual alignment of density maps

Sergej Masich Sergej.Masich at ki.se
Wed Jul 29 06:05:40 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a program(s) that would allow me to align manually two density maps. We have reconstructed several particles that may have a common origin and we are trying to trace common features in these particles. We have software that presumably may help us but it requires pre-aligned densities.

I checked Chimera that allows storing rotational and translational parameters for individual maps in Python scripts for saved session. However, I cannot find any definition of these parameters. Moreover, I have not found any routine in Chimera to apply these parameters to reorient tomographic maps.

Can you advise a program/set of programs that would allow me to (1) align two tomographic maps under visual control; (2) store corresponding rotational and translational parameters; and (3) use these parameters to obtain aligned densities?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sergej Masich
Dr. Sergej Masich
Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology
Karolinska Institutet