[3dem] Voxel Values (Scaling and Units) in cryoEM

Ludtke, Steven J sludtke at bcm.edu
Tue Jul 21 18:58:21 PDT 2015

Hi Ben.
If CTF correction and reconstruction have been completed accurately, then the absolute density values should be linearly related to the potential, which most people refer to slightly incorrectly as the electron density. That is to say there is an arbitrary linear transform applied to these values. Different packages use different conventions. In EMAN, for example, we typically normalize the data such that the mean solvent density is set to zero and the scaling is adjusted such that an isosurface containing some specified volume corresponds to an isosurface threshold of 1.0. The zero solvent density simplifies solvent flattening and some other common tasks, but is really just a convenience. Other packages use completely different conventions.

Bottom line is, no, you cannot trust that the numbers you find in the maps have any meaning in an absolute sense.
Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.         (www.bcm.edu/biochem<http://www.bcm.edu/biochem>)
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging        (ncmi.bcm.edu<http://ncmi.bcm.edu>)
Co-Director CIBR Center                          (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr<http://www.bcm.edu/research/cibr>)