[3dem] Vitrobot tweezers

Frederik Peter (ELMI) peter.frederik at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Feb 5 02:29:36 PST 2015

Dear Joseph,

Damaged Vitrobot tweezers are not rare. As Wim Hagen pointed out already, Dumont tweezers (sold under the same number) have a variation in length AND thickness of the tips. When the first Vitrobots were produced this was already noticed. To make vitrification reproducible the size and shape of the tweezers was rigorously standardized. This included length (slightly shorter than average), tips (additional thinning) and rotational symmetry. We noticed that some tweezers had slightly thicker tips which worked as spacers in the blotting process; filter paper was blotting tweezers and not the grid. This was prevented by sparking the tips and thus removing material without deformation of the tips. The screw hole in the tweezers to screw-mount it in the brass dovetail block was also produced by sparking.
Rotational symmetry implies that all tweezers having the same length, also have the same position between the blot pads. This not only hold for all right-hand workers, but also for left handers using a mirror procedure. Rotational symmetry can be checked in a lathe, in addition we had a small tool in the lab to check length and rotational symmetry.
If you consider all these processing steps it adds up to the costs of an item that looks a simple piece of machining. The commercial price of the golden FEI tweezers has been annoying to a lot of customers. An alternative source (a reputed company in the USA) has made a quotation that could result in a reasonable price for additional/replacement Vitrobot tweezers.
As inventor of the Vitrobot I had an ample supply of excellent tweezers. These were made next door in the engineering/machining department where my co-inventors of the Vitrobot were working. In more than 10 years they  designed and build all prototypes (more than 4 generations) which were tested and improved in my lab. In the lab I noticed that Vitrobot tweezers became the favourite handling tool for EM-grids, a general and reliable precision tool. The use of these tweezers for non vitrification purposes also shortened there effective life-time.

Kind regards,
Peter Frederik
Maastricht