[3dem] [ccpem] on FSC curve (A can of worms...)

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:05:31 PDT 2015

Hi Alexis,

My final pennies:

(1) We FULLY agree that the B&R74 formula (=F&A75 formula) is wrong when
used in connection with a single experiment!

(2) The field view of the image does not change upon binning, hence the
SNR obtained from the same field of view increases upon binning. There
is no paradox: the SNR just cannot be interpreted as an information
metric on the object you are observing, that is all. We choose to FULLY
disagree here.

(3) "N is not so large" in ALL cases of interest. The issue was settled
more than a decade ago (but largely ignored since). Defining an agreed
standard resolution indicator is not a "marginal" issue, it is like
defining the "meter" as the unit of length. Of course, even a well
defined resolution value can only be a single-valued indicator of what
we will be able to interpret in terms of the 3D map details. But still,
we need no further "elastic-band" criteria in cryo-EM. For example, when
calculating a local resolution map and continuously reducing the
comparison area, with the same FSC fixed-threshold value, will
necessarily lead to absurd results. It leaves too much room for
deliberately "polishing" the quality metrics.

(4) Again, this is a one-off experiment that does not tolerate negative
SNR values. It is WRONG to interpret this in terms of an expectation
value because that does not reflect the experimental reality.

(5) "Of course, signal and noise are not orthogonal, and the cross-terms
are not zero." We FULLY agree that this is what really matters!
"It's just that the expectation value of these cross terms is zero."
Well yes, that is true but - again - this expectation value is
irrelevant in a one-off experiment! You simply cannot apply that to a
single experiment. For example, in VH&S(2005) hundreds of such
individual FSC plots are plotted on top of each other to illustrate
their expected "one-off" behaviour. One would get close to the
expectation value of zero if we would sum hundreds or thousands such FSC
plots. But that would not be relevant to any individual FSC or SSNR
experiment contained in the set.

(6) Alexis, note that in (B&R74) even their formula 15 estimator is only
valid "for large N".

(7) What is relevant is that the cross term between signal and noise
cannot be neglected. At the level when we state we have collected enough
information to achieve some predetermined resolution threshold, the
variance of the signal is typically of the same order as that of the
noise... Thus the cross terms between the signal and the noise will be
of the same order of magnitude as the also "uncorrelated" noise-to-noise
cross terms which "everybody" does include in their calculations. For
consistency "everybody" should also use the zero expectation value for
the noise-to-noise cross terms. In that case, both sides of the formula
go to infinity. Ha Ha!

Let us look at all the extremes of the B&R formula (as any physicist is
taught to do at university; I have already hammered on the SNR
positivity issue):

A) Signal --> 0 (Noise =/ 0) thus: SNR --> 0 and CCC --> Noise-to-Noise
cross term; ergo B&R gives WRONG results in any single experiment with a
limited number of sampling points N.
It can only be made correct if the number of sampling points goes to
infinity (which is not our case) or if the experiment is repeated an
infinite number of times (which is not our case). In both cases the B&R
formula would become correct (but pointless).

B) Noise --> 0 (Signal =/ 0) thus: SNR --> Infinity  and CCC --> 1  thus
CCC/(1-CCC) --> Infinity (here one could define B&R to be correct; but
irrelevant)

C) In all other cases the Signal-to-Noise cross terms may not be ignored
and the B&R74 formula - which excludes these cross-terms - is wrong.

To summarise: The B&R74 formula (= the F&A75 formula) is wrong or not
relevant. In deriving the formula the all-important cross terms between
Signal and Noise have been ignored which are crucial for our one-off FSC
& SSNR experiments. A fixed-valued FSC threshold criterion is WRONG and
leaves space for deliberate manipulation of the resulting metrics.

May the pennies drop!

Marin

Alexis, thank you for insisting on the nitty-gritty! You forced me to be
explicit.
Maybe that was just what was needed to clean up this mess in cryo-EM.
The bottom line is "Marin van Heel" is right and "everybody else" is
wrong! Or did I miss something ...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_shell_correlation

-