[3dem] sharing em maps during peer-review process

Friedrich Foerster foerster at biochem.mpg.de
Thu Apr 30 13:19:12 PDT 2015

dear colleagues,

i would be interested in experiences / suggestions / views of others in the
field on  the following issue that may be of interest to many of us:
the editor of our manuscript forwarded the request of a peer-reviewer to
access the cryo-em map of our beloved complex. this has never happened to
us, but to our surprise the editor did not consider the request to be
unusual.
of course, we share the point that the map would be of great help in
judging the interpretation of the data. however, we also feel very
uncomfortable sending the condensed result of lengthy research to an
anonymous colleague, who could theoretically make considerable misuse of
it. nevertheless, the policy of the journal seems to let us little
choice: "Supporting
data must be made available to editors and peer-reviewers at the time of
submission for the purposes of evaluating the manuscript. Peer-reviewers
may be asked to comment on the terms of access to materials, methods and/or
data sets".
in any case we would be curious whether others indeed got similar requests
and how they dealt with it. a good solution for (paranoid?) people like us
could be a good web-based viewer that lets others view our map, but i would
not know of such a tool.

Thanks

Friedrich

--