[3dem] Vitrobot and BSL 2 virus plunging

Benefield, Desiree DBenefield at morgridge.org
Wed Apr 22 09:09:30 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

I am a post-doc at the University of Wisconsin at Madison. I am also assisting with all things related to biological cryo-EM for our EM facility.

We have some users who would like to use our Vitrobot to freeze cells that are infected with a BSL 2 virus. I am aware that we should do this plunging in a biosafety cabinet/hood but I have yet to find any advice for cleaning the Virobot cabinet post plunge. I was wondering if you might be able to offer any advice? Also, do you know what would be an appropriate way to decontaminate the plunging forceps and ethane cup?

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

With many thanks,
Desirée