[3dem] Imaging Facilities Manager - Research Assistant Professor

rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu
Thu May 22 12:22:29 PDT 2014

Hi,

The Advanced Science Research Center is seeking applicants for
a faculty position.

Research faculty engage in, are responsible for, manage,
and/or execute significant areas of research or scholarship.
They may serve as principal or co-principal investigators on
grants or contracts, manage postdoctoral fellows and their
research projects or supervise graduate or undergraduate
student research.  Research Faculty hold full-time, non-tenure
track positions.   While they may participate in instructional
programs, such as lectures or demonstrations, they are not
assigned regular teaching duties.

Campus Specific Information:

The City University of New York's newest facility, the
Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC) builds on the success
of the University's rich past, and the determination to become
a national leader in visionary scientific research in the
future.  With a focus in the fields of Nanotechnology,
Photonics, Structural Biology, Neuroscience, and Environmental
Sciences, the ASRC will operate as a nucleus of a University-
wide science enterprise, fostering the development of an
integrated research network that brings together faculty,
students, and post-doctoral fellows from CUNY's colleges
across the five boroughs.  This state-of-the-art, world class
facility will house a staff of elite scientists and leaders
who will seek to break down the walls between disparate but
increasingly inter-related disciplines of applied science.

The new facility's equipment will house two premier FEI Titan
(S)TEM's.  One being a new generation 300kV Titan Themis
optimized for CryoTEM using a side-entry cryo holder.  The
second being a new materials science image corrected 200kV
(S)TEM Titan Themis with a superX EDS detector.  In addition,
the facility will also be equipped with a 120kV LaB6 Tecnai
Spirit for training and sample screening, as well as a latest
generation Helios 660 dualbeam for sample preparation and 3D
visualization.  All of these instruments will enable cutting-
edge research across a wide range of scientific disciplines.

Reporting to the Scientific Director of the Nanoscience
Initiative at the ASRC, the Imaging Facility Manager will take
responsibility for the day-to-day operation, maintenance and
management of a new, state-of-the-art imaging facility. Duties
include the development and provision of training in addition
to assisting internal and external users. The successful
candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in
collaborative research in the scientific areas supported at
the ASRC, and will be encouraged to develop and drive an
independent research program in electron microscopy and its
uses in modern scientific research.
To learn more about the ASRC visit www.asrc.cuny.edu.

Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advises and trains internal and external users with varying
degrees of experience in experimental design, sample
preparation, imaging and data interpretation. Includes
production of training manuals.
- Performs microscopy and data analysis for external users;
including reporting of results.
- Maintenance of laboratory, instruments and computers.
- Planning and management of booking, access and finances to
the facility; includes organizing regular users meetings.
- Contributes to planning of extensions or updates of the
facility.
- Assists with preparation of grant proposals, presentations
and publications.
- Actively seeks new collaborative projects within the CUNY
system and externally.
- Contributes to dissemination of results through seminars and
publications.
- Actively participates in collaborative research within the
ASRC. Drives innovative research in area of imaging.
- Performs other duties as required.

QUALIFICATIONS

Ph.D. and postdoctoral experience in a relevant area of
physics, materials science, nanotechnology, biosciences or
engineering.  Also required are success in carrying out
research and ability to advise and/or oversee the direct work
of others.

Other qualifications include:

- Excellent publication track record in the area of applied
electron microscopy.
- Extensive laboratory research experience using electron
microscopes, including experimental design of TEM and SEM
experiments.
- Experience in cryogenic-temperature transmission electron
microscopy for direct-imaging of biological/soft matter.
- Experienced in equipment installation, implementation of
relevant upgrades and improvements and liaising with
suppliers.
- Excellent problem solving skills and a proven ability to
learn and teach in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Highly motivated with an ability to work independently or in
teams.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work to meet tight
deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.

COMPENSATION

CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits
package covering health insurance, pension and retirement
benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs.  We also
provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and
publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty
professional development.

HOW TO APPLY

>From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log
in to a user account, and provide the requested information.
If you are viewing this posting from outside our system,
access the employment page on our web site and search for this
vacancy using the Job ID or Title.

Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of
scholarly interests.

CLOSING DATE

The posting will close on June 20, 2014.

JOB SEARCH CATEGORY

CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community
by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities,
veterans, and women to apply.  We take pride in our
pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through
diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.

Go to the following link to apply:

https://hrsa.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psc/cnyhcprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_
HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?
Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=10784&SiteId=1&Posti
ngSeq=1&

Best wishes,
Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD