[3dem] Magnification anisotropy at low mag settings on Titan Krios

Max Haider haider at ceos-gmbh.de
Mon May 19 07:53:08 PDT 2014

Dear Marin,
I would like to correct your statement on the reasons of this observed
distortion (a different magnification for two perpendicular
orientations). As I could follow on the thread below this distortion
depends on the magnification step and, therefore, it is definitely not
caused within the Cs-corrector. When you change the magnification you
only change the settings of the various lenses within the projector
system and there is no change at all of any lens of the corrector. The
point I made (or wanted to make) is that you need two stigmators at
different locations in the column to modify this distortion by exciting
one stigmator and to compensate it with a 2nd one at a different
position. In order to compensate an existing distortion one has  to
measure the power and orientation of the stigmators. There does not
exist an automatic alignment tool because I guess there is a source of a
2-fold astigmatism somewhere in the projector and there is no stigmator
nearby. This astigmatism can be observed and you compensate it with, for
example, an objective lens stigmator leading to a distortion. Which
varies with the magnification because you change the excitation of the
lenses in the projector and, hence, you vary the force of the obj.
stigmator within this area. As Zhiheng wrote FEI people are aware but
currently there is no short time solution.
There are stigmators in the Cs-corrector but I am afraid those are too
weak to be used for a 7% distortion and, again, one would have to use
them for each magnification step with a different excitation. This I
stated briefly to be used to circumvent or to reduce the distortion but
neither these stigmators nor the Cs-corrector in general are causing the
observed distortion.
Best regards
Max.

Yu, Zhiheng wrote:

> Hi Marin,
>

> Thanks for following up on this thread and sharing the very useful
> feedback. The 2% or so magnification anisotropy/image distortion Niko
> referred to was from a Titan Krios without a Cs corrector. The main
> suspect is the projection system and FEI told us that they are still
> working on a solution.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Zhiheng Yu
>
> Manager of CryoEM Shared Facility, HHMI Janelia Farm Research Campus

Dr. Max. Haider
CEOS GmbH,    Englerstr. 28, D-69126 Heidelberg
Tel.: +49 (0)6221 89467 11, 	e-mail:  Haider at CEOS-GmbH.de
FAX : +49 (0)6221 89467 29	mobile:  +49 (0)170-2962663