[3dem] Floating carbon off of mica?

Paolo Swuec Paolo.Swuec at cancer.org.uk
Wed May 14 02:46:22 PDT 2014

Dear Isabel,

We had the same problem in the lab. We now "bake" the mica freshly coated with carbon (5nm) at 50C for half a day (usually coat the mica in the morning and float it before leaving). It solved our problem and no more cracking of the carbon layer or carbon left on the mica. We do prefer to use the carbon as fresh as possible, it gave us best reproducibility.

paolo

Paolo Swuec,
Architecture and Dynamics of Macromolecular Machines
London Research Institute
Clare Hall Laboratories
Cancer Research UK
South Mimms