[3dem] Home made holey carbon grids

Craig, Roger Roger.Craig at umassmed.edu
Mon Mar 24 18:18:16 PDT 2014

Hi Artemis - we published our home protocol for making holey films in Methods 56, 33-43, 2012. This was part of a review of methods for preparing muscle filaments for EM. The holey carbon method was based on published protocols and discussions with others who make their own holey films. I think it is a fairly standard approach. In case you don't have access to Methods, our protocol is attached  The holes are variable in size but the grids have served us well for much of our work.
Roger