[3dem] Cryo-genic shipping of cryo-EM grids

Li, Huilin hli at bnl.gov
Sun Mar 2 17:01:26 PST 2014

We are considering to FedEx several cryo-EM grids with a Dry-shipping dewar. According to the guideline for cryogenic shipping of frozen protein crystals,

http://smb.slac.stanford.edu/facilities/hardware/cryotools/shipping-dewar-testing.html

a quality dewar would keep the content cold (below -180 degree Celsius) for a week. But we have never done this before, and are worried if the cryo-grids would be contaminated even if the temperature is maintained low.

We would appreciate any experience you may be able to share with us.

Huilin Li