[3dem] RELION-1.3 release

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 03:38:52 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

Please be informed that the 1.3 release of the RELION software is now
available for download. It's main new features are:

1) a movie-processing procedure for small particles (we'll show next
week at the GRC how it helped to get 4.5 Angstrom resolution on a 170
kDa membrane-protein complex)
2) a template-matching based automated particle picking algorithm
(already used on several high-resolution structures in our lab)
3) a new GUI with image-displaying functionalities. Just click your way
through the entire image processing pipeline: so no more "awk" commands
to select particles or .csh scripts to group them! :-)

This release is a big step in the evolution of RELION from a stand-alone
refinement program into a convenient pipeline for most of the
single-particle analysis. As always: more details and download
instructions are on the RELION wiki at
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/relion. Please note we use the CCP-EM
RELION-related questions, bug reports, etc.

Have fun,
Sjors

PS: A special thanks to all those involved in beta-testing. Please
re-install the 1.3 release if you have previously worked with a
beta-version.

--
Sjors Scheres
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology