[3dem] "leopard skin" ice

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 16 01:01:31 PDT 2014

Dear All.

I have taken this image a couple of months while flying to Frankfurt in
a KLM Embraer 190 (built in Brazil).  But to get to the core of my
contribution to the "leopard skin" discussion: I have always associated
leopard skin ice as a turbulence effect in the vitreous ice layer
similar to the turbulence effect that causes clouds to form certain
patterns (see attached picture). We maybe should look into the
meteorology literature to better understand what is happening to our
"cool" vitreous-water samples under electron exposure!

My two cents,

Marin

On 20/11/2013 18:23, frankpolzer at physik.hu-berlin.de wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Please find attached an example image of the ice I observed.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> During the last weeks, I frequently observe what I believe is so-called
>> leopard skin ice in my vitrified samples (plunge frozen in ethane using
>> Mark IV Vitrobot).
>>
>> What again is the reason for this type of ice and how can this be avoided?
>>
>> Thanks for your help in advance,
>>
>> Frank
>>

>> Dr. Frank Polzer
>>
>> TEM Group
>> Insitute of Physics
>> Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
>> Newtonstraße 15
>> 12489 - Berlin
>> Tel.: +49 30 2093-4995 (office)
>> Tel.: +49 30 2093-7829 (TEM)
>> Fax: +49 30 2093-7886

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618
     Skype:    Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk

     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625

     Visiting Professor at:

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
     Brazilian mobile phone  +55-19-99369051

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.
Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make
legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)