[3dem] amplitude contrast valuesHi,

Marin van Heel marin.vanheel at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 25 04:43:59 PDT 2014

Dear David

The amplitude and phase information are two independent properties of
the sample which are transferred through a linear optical system by the
Amplitude Transfer Function (ATF) and the Phase Contrast Transfer
Function (PhCTF), respectively. That is standard Fourier Optics. Merging
of the amplitude and phase information transfer into a single hybrid
contrast transfer function necessarily implies assuming a
proportionality between the phase and amplitude information of the
sample over all spatial frequencies. Assuming such a proportionality is
certainly incorrect in general and the experimental evidence supporting
such assumptions fail to convince me, even in the cases where one is
only looking at low-resolution negative-stain images. The practical
solution is simple: ignore the fiddle-factor "Q" altogether by setting
it to zero and first take out all irrelevant and disturbing
low-resolution amplitudes by high-pass filtering the images prior to the
CTF determination. Reference: M. van Heel: On the imaging of relatively
strong objects in partially coherent illumination in optics and electron
optics, Optik 47 (1978) 389-408) and paper in preparation.

Hope this helps

Marin

On 21/07/2014 14:02, David Gene Morgan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm trying to do some automated defocus determination (initially
> trying Niko's ctffind3 program) and would like some input on
> appropriate amplitude contrast values for various types of samples.  I
> know that ice embedded images usually are said to have an amplitude
> contrast of 0.07 to 0.1.  I also know that with protein/nucleic acid
> complexes in ice, amplitude contrast may need to be set a bit higher
> (say to as much as 0.15 for some data I worked on awhile ago).
>
>     But I don't have any sort of feeling for appropriate values of
> amp;itude contrast for different sorts of negative stains (either cryo
> negative stain or standard negative stain).  It should be "high," but
> I don't know how high might be appropriate.
>
>     If anyone has either some practical or theoretical insight into
> this, I'd appreciate some suggestions.  Also, does anyone know about
> an appropriate amplitude contrast for a standard Au/Pd waffle grid?
>
>     Thanks in advance for all your help.

     Prof Dr Ir Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL: +31(0)715271424 // Mobile NL: +31(0)652736618
     Skype:    Marin.van.Heel
     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

     Emeritus Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk

     Tel. UK:   +44(0)2075945316 //Mobile: +44(0)7941540625

     Visiting Professor at:

     Laboratório Nacional de Nanotecnologia - LNNano
     CNPEM/ABTLuS, Campinas, Brazil
     Brazilian mobile phone  +55-19-99369051

I receive many emails per day and, although I try,
there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email.
Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make
legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)