[3dem] postdoc and PhD positions available

yaser hashem y.hashem at ibmc-cnrs.unistra.fr
Wed Jul 9 11:56:12 PDT 2014

One PhD and one Post-doc Positions available in Cryo-EM

Dear all,

I would like to draw you attention to the availability of two open positions in my newly born lab in Strasbourg, France. The PhD position is available starting from October 2014, the Post-doc position is available immediately. Both positions are limited to 3 years.

Job description: The research will focus on studying protein translation regulation in eukaryotes, including pathogenic protozoa, by cryo-EM. The group will investigate among other aspects the differences existing between mammals and pathogenic protozoa, such as kinetoplastids and plasmodium, in the structure of their translation complexes. In addition, the group will study the function of protozoa-specific ribosomal features, which could ultimately lead to finding several potential pharmacophores.

Requirements: The successful PhD candidate holds a master degree in biology, biochemistry, biophysics or a related field. The successful candidate must have a certain level of basic knowledge in structures of biomolecules (can give the names three types of secondary structure elements in proteins) and some affinity with computers (doesn’t pass-out at the sight of a Shell terminal). It is preferred to have some experience in proteins expression and purification.

The Post-doc candidate has a PhD in structural biology (who am I kidding! Just biology will do), biochemistry, biophysics or a related field, strong written and oral communication skills in English and strong computational skills. It is strongly preferred to have some experience in single particle electron cryo-microscopy and/or modeling (biomolecules modeling not fashion).

For both positions, French is not required, English will do.

Application: Please send your CV, at least two references and a statement outlining your interests and relevant work to Yaser Hashem at y.hashem at ibmc-cnrs.unistra.fr

Website (under construction):

http://labex-ibmc.u-strasbg.fr/NetRNA/team.php?id=11

Website of the city of Strasbourg:

http://www.en.strasbourg.eu/en/home-en/

Website of the University of Strasbourg:

http://www.unistra.fr/index.php?id=accueil

Strasbourg has a state-of-art EM facility counting several microscopes among which a Polara f30 equipped with a Falcon 1 camera and a Krios Titan equipped with a Falcon 2 camera. The lab is located in the IBMC (Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire, URL: http://www-ibmc.u-strasbg.fr/) in the downtown campus. The EM facility is located in the IGBMC (nstitut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire, URL: http://www.igbmc.fr/), Illkirch campus, few kilometers south of Strasbourg.

To end I would like to add that Strasbourg is such a beautiful city, many places to hangout, rents are not very expensive, the food and mostly the wines are exquisite and I am such a cool guy to work with (don’t listen my former co-workers!!).

Best regards

-------------------

yaser hashem
Ph.D.
Group Leader

Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique / LabEx NetRNA
Université de Strasbourg

Institut de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UPR 9002
phone: +33 (0) 3 88 41 70 83
15 Rue René Descartes
67084 Strasbourg
France