[3dem] Workstation

Steven Ludtke sludtke at bcm.edu
Thu Jan 30 17:01:28 PST 2014

I keep a FAQ page pretty up to date for this question, which has some additional refinements on the advice you've already heard. My one disagreement would be on DELL, who has poor hardware design (difficult to modify and repair) and extremely poor customer support when something breaks.

http://blake.bcm.edu/emanwiki/EMAN2/FAQ/Computer

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D.
Professor, Dept of Biochemistry and Mol. Biol.         (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Co-Director National Center For Macromolecular Imaging        (ncmi.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                          (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)
Baylor College of Medicine
sludtke at bcm.edu