[3dem] 3D printing

Andrey Malyutin agmalyut at umail.iu.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:17:59 PST 2014

Hi all,

I've used shapeways.com to print several 2 inch models of viral particles.
I've started with .mrc files and ended with uploading .stl files to their
servers (converted in Chimera as described by Gabe). I've had to
'repair<https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/how_to_use_meshlab_and_netfabb>'
my initial models to be acceptable for their printers, which required a few
additional pieces of free software and just a bit of time. All of the
models so far that I've printed were single piece and single colour. They
can, however, print coloured (depending on input model format), multi-piece
models, and in a large range of materials. The prices have been reasonable.
They are dependant on the volume of the model and can be made cheaper by
removing internal density where viable. Additionally, educational
discount<https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/2012-shapeways-educational-discount-for-3d-printing-on-a-student-budget.html?%2Farchives%2F2012-shapeways-educational-discount-for-3d-printing-on-a-student-budget_html=>is
available.

Andrey

Andrey Malyutin
Graduate Student