[3dem] Marc Adrian

Henning Stahlberg henning.stahlberg at unibas.ch
Wed Jan 8 14:35:12 PST 2014

... here is my little story on Marc:
When I started my PhD in the Dubochet lab, I was very much lost with this ominous technique called cryo-EM.
Marc Adrian was there, and I decided to ask him to rescue me and teach me EM.  He said he didn't want to get overburdened, but he offered me to answer one single question per day. My task was to think well about what would be most important, and then ask him that one question the next morning.

This is what I did for the next several years. In the mornings, we usually (tried to) load a cryo-EM grid into our CM12s and then the entire crew of the Dubochet lab went for a coffee in the sun at the border of the beautiful lake Geneva. On the way to the coffee place, I usually asked Marc my one question, and he always gave the very same answer: He held out his hand and said "5 Franks, that is what it costs you today". He then always laughed, took his (empty) hand back, and answered my question in the fullest detail.   This is how I learned cryo-EM.

I am deeply thankful to him for that, and the great time we had in the lab with him.

Henning.

Henning Stahlberg, PhD
Prof. for Structural Biology, C-CINA, Biozentrum, University Basel
Mattenstrasse 26 | D-BSSE | WRO-1058 | CH-4058 Basel | Switzerland
http://c-cina.org<http://c-cina.org/> | Tel. +41-61-387 32 62 | mailto:Henning.Stahlberg at unibas.ch