[3dem] Imaging Facilities Manager - Research Assistant Professor

rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu
Fri Dec 19 16:43:46 PST 2014

Hi,

We're seeking an Imaging Facilities Manager -see below.
To apply, please go to:
https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=10784&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1

The above link may have broken by the e-mail, so please paste appropriately.

Job Vacancy Notice
Job Title:

Imaging Facilities Manager - Research Assistant Professor

Job ID:

10784

Location:

Central Office

Full/Part Time:

Full-Time

Regular/Temporary:

Regular

Return to Previous Page

FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

Research faculty engage in, are responsible for, manage, and/or execute significant areas of research or scholarship.  They may serve as principal or co-principal investigators on grants or contracts, manage postdoctoral fellows and their research projects or supervise graduate or undergraduate student research.  Research Faculty hold full-time, non-tenure track positions.   While they may participate in instructional programs, such as lectures or demonstrations, they are not assigned regular teaching duties.

Campus Specific Information:

The City University of New York's newest facility, the Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC) builds on the success of the University's rich past, and the determination to become a national leader in visionary scientific research in the future.  With a focus in the fields of Nanotechnology, Photonics, Structural Biology, Neuroscience, and Environmental Sciences, the ASRC will operate as a nucleus of a University-wide science enterprise, fostering the development of an integrated research network that brings together faculty, students, and post-doctoral fellows from CUNY's colleges across the five boroughs.  This state-of-the-art, world class facility will house a staff of elite scientists and leaders who will seek to break down the walls between disparate but increasingly inter-related disciplines of applied science.

The new facility's equipment will house two premier FEI Titan (S)TEM's.  One being a new generation 300kV Titan Themis optimized for CryoTEM using a side-entry cryo holder.  The second being a new materials science image corrected 200kV (S)TEM Titan Themis with a superX EDS detector.  In addition, the facility will also be equipped with a 120kV LaB6 Tecnai Spirit for training and sample screening, as well as a latest generation Helios 660 dualbeam for sample preparation and 3D visualization.  All of these instruments will enable cutting-edge research across a wide range of scientific disciplines.

Reporting to the Scientific Director of the Nanoscience Initiative at the ASRC, the Imaging Facility Manager will take responsibility for the day-to-day operation, maintenance and management of a new, state-of-the-art imaging facility. Duties include the development and provision of training in addition to assisting internal and external users. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in collaborative research in the scientific areas supported at the ASRC, and will be encouraged to develop and drive an independent research program in electron microscopy and its uses in modern scientific research.
To learn more about the ASRC visit www.asrc.cuny.edu.

Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advises and trains internal and external users with varying degrees of experience in experimental design, sample preparation, imaging and data interpretation. Includes production of training manuals.
- Performs microscopy and data analysis for external users; including reporting of results.
- Maintenance of laboratory, instruments and computers.
- Planning and management of booking, access and finances to the facility; includes organizing regular users meetings.
- Contributes to planning of extensions or updates of the facility.
- Assists with preparation of grant proposals, presentations and publications.
- Actively seeks new collaborative projects within the CUNY system and externally.
- Contributes to dissemination of results through seminars and publications.
- Actively participates in collaborative research within the ASRC. Drives innovative research in area of imaging.
- Performs other duties as required.

QUALIFICATIONS

Ph.D. and postdoctoral experience in a relevant area of physics, materials science, nanotechnology, biosciences or engineering.  Also required are success in carrying out research and ability to advise and/or oversee the direct work of others.

Other qualifications include:

- Excellent publication track record in the area of applied electron microscopy.
- Extensive laboratory research experience using electron microscopes, including experimental design of TEM and SEM experiments.
- Experience in cryogenic-temperature transmission electron microscopy for direct-imaging of biological/soft matter.
- Experienced in equipment installation, implementation of relevant upgrades and improvements and liaising with suppliers.
- Excellent problem solving skills and a proven ability to learn and teach in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Highly motivated with an ability to work independently or in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.

COMPENSATION

CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs.  We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.

HOW TO APPLY

>From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information.  If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.

Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.

CLOSING DATE

The posting will close on December 29, 2014. (SEARCH REOPENED)

JOB SEARCH CATEGORY

CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.  We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.

Best wishes,
Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor