[3dem] digital micrograph on linux

Matthias Wolf matthias.wolf at oist.jp
Fri Dec 5 20:06:21 PST 2014

Hi Benoit,

DM 2.x (free license) runs fine on a XP32 virtual machine on a Linux host. Either use the native KVM virtualization support now included in most Linux distros or install Oracle virtual box. The former has the advantage that you can RDC to your windows VM from any host when nobody is logged into your Linux host. I would not bother with wine - go for a real O/S running in a VM. Space and memory are no excuses any more today and you will surely find an old licensed copy of WinXP. Or even better, since still supported, run Win7 in your VM. If you are still concerned about space, put your VM image file on a thumb drive... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tiny-ssd-slim-windows-7-minimal-installs/. If you don't want to pay anything for the O/S, get an evaluation version. Your time lost by monkeying around with wine is not worth the effort...

Cheers,

   Matthias