[3dem] pdb for near-atomic resolution EM maps

Sjors Scheres scheres at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 00:34:03 PST 2014

Hi Irina,
This is an excellent question that we really should discuss as a
community. I guess that while we have not reached a "standard", it is most
important that you describe in detail what you did to obtain your model in
the methods section of your paper. This should also reflect the confidence
(or lack of it) that you have in the different parts of your model. 4.3A
is a "frustating" resolution in some ways: as you mention you start to see
many side chains and that gets you excited, but still a lot of ambiguity
remains when you build an atomic model. We had a similar situation with
gamma-secretase. We did the following. Where a decent homology model
existed, we made a model with side chains (which I guess will still have
errors). Where we were less sure (in the trans-membrane part), we built
only a backbone model. Our resolution of 4.5A meant we were not done yet,
and we are currently investing a lot of time in making the reconstruction
good enough to propose a reliable atomic model.
HTH,

BTW: Masahide, R_free measures overfitting of the model. It does not
measure errors in it. For that, we have found Ramachandran plots and other
geometry-reporters to be more useful. However, at resolutions that stay
below 4A, it will probably remain very difficult not to make mistakes.