[3dem] Cryo-EM tenure-track faculty position in Stony Brook University (Long Island, New York)

Huilin Li hli at bnl.gov
Wed Sep 25 08:01:32 PDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

Stony Brook University has two structural biology faculty positions available now, one in cryo-EM, and the other in NMR. Please forward this message to any potential candidates you may be aware of.

More details and how to apply can be found at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/3070

Regards

Huilin
____________________________
Huilin Li, PhD
Department of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
Stony Brook University
Tel: 631-632-1041
Huilin.Li at StonyBrook.edu

Biosciences Department
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Upton, NY11973
Tel: 631-344-2931
Fax: 631-344-3407
Email: hli at bnl.gov

Structural Biology Positions in the Interdisciplinary
Biomolecular Imaging Cluster Hiring Initiative

Stony Brook University

Interdisciplinary Faculty Cluster Hiring Initiative: The Biomolecular Imaging Cluster is part of an exciting, new initiative, undertaken as part of NY SUNY 2020, to hire 100 faculty members over the next few years to expand teaching and research in emerging fields of study that cut across traditional boundaries of academic disciplines. The interdisciplinary faculty cluster hires are aimed at addressing society's most vexing challenges through the collaboration of natural, life and social sciences; technology; medicine; humanities; policy; business; and the arts. The positions are designated for faculty members whose research and teaching interests are interdisciplinary. The goals of this initiative are to place Stony Brook University strategically on the emerging frontiers of research and knowledge and to enhance our ability to shape new fields of discovery, learning and engagement.

 >Biomolecular Imaging: Imaging biological molecules is key to understanding their function, providing a starting point for rational drug design and protein engineering. Stony Brook University's investment in biomolecular imaging includes newly upgraded high-field NMR facilities, world-class computational resources, and proximity to the new third generation synchrotron facility at Brookhaven National Lab (NSLS-II). The Biomolecular Imaging cluster will recruit a total of five new faculty whose research interests span a range of imaging modalities including NMR spectroscopy, x-ray spectroscopy and imaging, ultrahigh resolution light microscopy, cryo-electron microscopy and positron emission tomography coupled with radiotracer synthesis. Academic appointments for cluster faculty will be based on their areas of research and will be in the Departments of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacological Sciences, and/or Neurobiology and Behavior.

 >Details Pertaining to Specific Position: Currently we seek to hire two tenure-track faculty members at the assistant or associate professor level to begin Fall 2014. In this round of recruitment, applications from candidates with expertise in Structural Biology using either high-field NMR spectroscopy or cryo-electron microscopy are particularly encouraged. Candidates must have a PhD from an accredited institution in biochemistry, chemistry, biophysics, cell biology, molecular biology, genetics, pharmacology, neuroscience or a closely related field, and at least two years postdoctoral experience. Candidates must have demonstrated excellence in innovative research and have strong potential for being able to participate in the teaching mission of the department they join at undergraduate and graduate levels.
Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,039-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world-class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Hospital is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Recent private and public investments in the Hospital have led to significant expansion in research and clinical programs in cancer, infectious diseases and neurosciences. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School clinical departments. Interdisciplinary Faculty Cluster Hiring Initiative:

Application Procedures: To apply, submit a State employment application, a complete curriculum vitae including a publication list of three to five reprints, proposed research plans, statement of teaching interests, and have three letters of recommendation submitted through AcademicJobsOnline posting at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/3070 Electronic submission of materials is highly preferred. Alternatively, materials may be sent to: Biomolecular Imaging Search Chair, Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5215 BioMolecularImaging at stonybrook.edu. For a full position description, and application procedure, visit www.stonybrook.edu/jobs (Ref. #  F-8174/13/09).

Application review will begin October, 2013. Stony Brook University/SUNY is an affirmative action, equal opportunity educator and employer.