PS Re: [3dem] "leopard skin" ice

Willem Tichelaar w.tichelaar at online.de
Thu Nov 21 14:31:10 PST 2013

PS See also Dubochet et al. (1988) Quart. Rev. Biophys. 21, pp. 129-228,
Fig. 32 c and d

Hi Frank,

I thought that the contamination with a leopard skin pattern arises in
the microscope when the vacuum is not clean i.e. when the partial water
pressure near the specimen is not low enough. Then,the contamination
that you see should increase with timethough.

Good luck,
Willem.

On 11/20/13 6:23 PM, frankpolzer at physik.hu-berlin.de wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Please find attached an example image of the ice I observed.
>
> Cheers,
> Frank
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> During the last weeks, I frequently observe what I believe is so-called
>> leopard skin ice in my vitrified samples (plunge frozen in ethane using
>> Mark IV Vitrobot).
>>
>> What again is the reason for this type of ice and how can this be avoided?
>>
>> Thanks for your help in advance,
>>
>> Frank
>>

>> Dr. Frank Polzer
>>
>> TEM Group
>> Insitute of Physics
>> Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
>> Newtonstraße 15
>> 12489 - Berlin
>> Tel.: +49 30 2093-4995 (office)
>> Tel.: +49 30 2093-7829 (TEM)
>> Fax: +49 30 2093-7886

Dr. Willem Tichelaar
Richard-Drach-Str. 5
69123 Heidelberg, Deutschland

phone: +49 (0)6221 779409; fax: +49 (0)6221 779411
e-mail:w.tichelaar at online.de