[3dem] "leopard skin" ice

Guenter Resch lists at nexperion.net
Wed Nov 20 12:56:01 PST 2013

Hi Frank,

> During the last weeks, I frequently observe what I believe is so-called
> leopard skin ice in my vitrified samples (plunge frozen in ethane using
> Mark IV Vitrobot).

is this an artefact that builds up on the specimen over time or is it something present from the first moment on? What kind of microscope are you using?

We once experienced a similar issue on our Polara - it turned out the copper braids connecting the conduction rods with the specimen were worn out and left the sample at a temperature slightly too high. Replacing the braids did eliminate the problem.

Best regards,

	Guenter

--
Dr. Guenter Resch