[3dem] amount of lipid used for monolayer techinique

Dianne Taylor dianne at bio.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 15 15:09:31 PDT 2013

Hello,

An excess of lipid is always necessary to produce a monolayer of good
integrity, possibly the excess creates compression to pack the lipid
molecules more tightly together. I make stocks at 1 mg/ml for
convenience and dilute to 0.5 mg/ml for application (1 ul for a 5 mm
well). Your amount is a bit high, it could be reduced some. You don't
say which lipids are being used, if they are fluid or gel phase, but
my values work for either.

In my experience (25 years) the above lipid concentration will be a
monolayer. The excess appears to go to the side of the well and drops
to the bottom as the solvent evaporates.

There are, however; many things that can disrupt the monolayer and
create folds, vesicles, and other lipid structures in your EM sample.
These can definitely make evaluating samples harder. Mechanical
disruption is the biggest problem. Vibrations from surroundings can
break up the monolayer so it's important to find a stable and
vibration free place to work. Contact with carbon film also causes
problems. Monolayers lift best at an air/water interface as in
reticulated carbon film. If you are seeing patches on carbon film
this may be the remnants of the monolayer.

Hope this helps,
Dianne Taylor