[3dem] 3 postdoc positions available at Brandeis University

Daniela Nicastro nicastro at brandeis.edu
Tue Jun 4 06:22:20 PDT 2013

THREE POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW POSITIONS IN THE NICASTRO LAB:

1) software developer in cryo-EM

2) 3d imaging of virus-host cell interactions

3) 3d imaging of cilia and flagella

All three postdoctoral positions are available immediately in the structural cell biology laboratory of Daniela Nicastro at Brandeis University ( <http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/nicastrolab/> www.bio.brandeis.edu/nicastrolab/). Our laboratory uses a wide variety of methods to study the 3D structure, function and molecular mechanisms of molecular motors, cytoskeletal organization and other cellular assemblies. Brandeis is a liberal arts University characterized by research excellence (eight miles west of Boston). Our EM facility had a history of high-resolution imaging and offers an outstanding environment for cryo-EM and image processing. We have a Tecnai F30 and a F20 and two smaller TEMs, FEI Falcon direct electron detector, Gatan Imaging energy filter (post-column), several Gatan CCD cameras, 3 plunge freezer (e.g. CP3, Vitrobot), a Correlative Light and Electron Microscopy (CLEM) facility that includes a high pressure freezer, an automatic freeze-substitution device, a cryo-ultramicrotome, two confocal fluorescence microscopes and a Linkam cryo-light microscope station, and a computer facility that houses many Linux stations, a Linux Opteron cluster with 370 processors and large memory for memory-intensive computations.

All successful candidates should have a PhD in sciences and enjoy working as part of an active research team.

For Project #1) Experience developing scientific software is essential, and knowledge of high-level programming languages (in particular Matlab), GUI development and image processing is desirable. While knowledge of cryo-EM and structural biology would be an advantage, applicants from other backgrounds are welcomed, but it is expected that exceptionally qualified candidates with strong computational or applied mathematics skills would make the effort to develop a deep knowledge of our field after joining the lab.

For Projects #2 and #3) Background experience in one (or more) of the following fields is desirable: (cryo‑) electron microscopy, image processing/analysis techniques, virology, cytoskeletal assemblies or biophysics.

Project 2 will be in close collaboration with the HHMI laboratory of Stephen C. Harrison at Harvard Medical School ( <http://crystal.harvard.edu/research.php> http://crystal.harvard.edu/research.php).

Candidates should contact Dr. Nicastro and include a CV, statement of research experience and interests, and contact information for three references.

Dr. Daniela Nicastro

Brandeis University

415 South Street, MS 029, Rosenstiel Center

Waltham, MA 02454-9110, USA

Phone:781-736-2408   Fax.:781-736-2419

email: nicastro at brandeis.edu

http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/nicastrolab/