[3dem] How to determine a symmetry of a ring particle?

Penczek, Pawel A Pawel.A.Penczek at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Jan 11 12:23:10 PST 2013

Dear Alexander,

while there are many packages that would allow you to analyze symmetry of a particle imaged by TEM,
there is no method that would allow you to "determine" its symmetry.  I assume by determine you
mean a "proof" or a statistical test that would allow you to claim that the particle has certain symmetry.
So far, no satisfying method was developed that would be solely based on computational analysis of imaged data
and which would allow you to make such claim.

Regards,
—
Pawel A. Penczek, Ph.D.
Professor
Structural Biology Imaging Center, Director
The University of Texas
phone: 713-500-5416
fax: 713-500-0652
http://www.uth.tmc.edu/bmb/faculty/pawel-penczek.html