[3dem] Two post-doctoral positions and one tenure-track assistant professor position (Gang Cai at USTC)

Gang Cai gangcai at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 23:35:21 PST 2013

Two post-doctoral positions and one tenure-track assistant professor position (Gang Cai at USTC)

Dear colleagues,

Two postdoctoral positions are immediately available for three years (exceptional applicants are encouraged to apply for one tenure-track assistant professor) in the group of Dr. Gang Cai (University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at the Microscale) for structural analysis of Mediator complex by cryo-EM.

The project is focused on examining the structures and functional interactions of Mediator complex, which is critical for regulation of eukaryotic transcription, aiming at a structural understanding of the molecular mechanism. We have established robust affinity purification methods, which have resulted in the first cryo-EM reconstruction. Besides purification of the endogenous whole protein complex directly from cells, we have recombinant expressed and extended the cryo-EM analysis into the critical modules or sub-complexes. Thus, we could get more detailed information about the subunit organization, structural flexibility and functional interactions of Mediator.

The research is funded by National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) from the Ministry of Science and Technology (2013CB910200), grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31170694, 31222017), Ministry of Education of PRC (NCET-11-0874) and Chinese Academy Of Sciences (48500108-6). We are currently equipped with FEI 200-kV Tecnai F20 Transmission Cryo-Electron Microscope, FEI Vitrobot Cryo-EM Sample Plunger, Gatan SOLARUSTM Plasma Cleaner, Denton Vaccum Evaporator, and Gatan TurboPumping Station.

Applicants should have a PhD in biochemistry, structural or molecular biology, biophysics or a related area. Experience in electron microscopy is desirable, but not required. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV, and contact info of three references to Gang Cai (gcai at ustc.edu.cn). Additional details about our group can be found on our website (http://cii.ustc.edu.cn/cailab/).

Gang Cai, Ph.D.

Professor, Principal Investigator

Schoole of Life Science,

University of Science and Technology of China

No. 443 Huangshan Rd, Hefei,

Anhui, China, 230027

Tel/Fax: +86-551-3603802

Email: gcai at ustc.edu.cn