[3dem] Re: file conversion (aaron smith)

Schoenmakers, Remco Remco.Schoenmakers at fei.com
Wed Feb 6 23:26:09 PST 2013

Dear all,

Attached is the header description of the TIA ser format for TIA 3.x and later. It has remained unchanged for many years and can safely be used and its header interpreted.

The .emi file represent the internal state of the TIA application at the time of writing the files, and can be used to restore that situation within the TIA application. Not only does it contain the image - or images and/or spectra - but also the formatting of the layout, etc. It is in principle not meant for direct access by other packages, that's what the ser files are for, and can indeed change per TIA version. When the software changes (and thus perhaps its internal descriptors) this will be reflected in the .emi files. However, since some of the acquisition information is stored in XML inside the file, some packages still can try to extract that information, if present.

I hope this clarifies some of the 'myths' around the TIA formats ;-).

Kind regards
Remco Schoenmakers