[3dem] Quality of ethane for freezing

Bob Grassucci rg2502 at columbia.edu
Fri Feb 1 09:13:11 PST 2013

Hi All,
Just my 2 cents.  We generally use research grade which I believe is
99.95% to avoid the contaminants from the bottom.  This grade takes
longer to get and is more expensive.  You start seeing these
contaminants with lower grades if your tank is close to empty or if you
have moved the tank very recently (1-2 hours?).  Moving the tank stirs
up what is on the bottom.  In order to avoid contamination we order the
higher grade so we can get the full use of the tank and move it around
at will. Just personal preference. My guess as to the difference in
grades is only if they clean out the old tank before filling back up for
the higher grade;)  You could get lucky with a lower grade?
Bob