[3dem] Quality of ethane for freezing

Bullitt Esther bullitt at bu.edu
Fri Feb 1 08:22:13 PST 2013

Hi,

We have always bought technical grade ethane rather than the high purity.  By the bottom of the tank, the grids have contamination, and so we switch it out.

This last time, the tank cost half the price, and has been showing contamination pretty soon after we started using it.  Perhaps it is now a lower grade.

Do people recommend buying the high purity ethane?  My understanding is that it then freezes very rapidly, so one must contend with thawing it often.

thanks,
Esther

---
Esther Bullitt, Ph.D.