[3dem] Gatan cryo-holder question

Ruben Diaz pindusito at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 18:07:46 PST 2013

Hi David,

I really have no idea why this happens (probably Maxwell's demon doing one of its tricks), but I also have seen this problem with the tomography cryoholder. The way I got rid of this problem is by putting a tiny dab of formvar in chloroform (a 1% solution works fine) on the head of the screw. The tiny bit that stays at the tip of a toothpick is enough, as it runs into the screw and most of its surfaces, fixing them more or less securely.

Happy holidays to you too!

Ruben.

Ruben Diaz-Avalos, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology,
Briggs Hall,
University of California, Davis,
1 Shields Avenue,
Davis, CA 95616