[3dem] RE: electron diffraction

Philip Köck Philip.Koeck at ki.se
Mon Aug 26 05:28:35 PDT 2013

Thank you all very much for the answers you sent. I just picked one out to reply to.
Thank you , Nestor, for the tables.

The reason I asked is that I want to know what spatial frequencies are removed by an objective aperture
when recording high resolution (phase contrast) images.
I wasn't sure whether the objective lens settings change when one switches between imaging and diffraction.
Therefore the strange way of asking the question.
Secondly I wasn't sure whether one can use the simple formulas given that the lens is not a thin lens.
I don't know the position of the specimen with respect to the focal planes or the principal planes either.

In any case everybody seems to point me to a simple calculation.
For example for 200 kV and 1 Angstrom resolution cutoff I can take twice the angle in Nestor's table,
resulting in angle= 25 mrad.
I can also get that from Lamda = d sin(angle), if I regard the specimen as a two dimensional grating.

The next step is to use the focal length (not the distance between specimen and focal plane) as camera length,
giving a distance of the spot from the optical axis R = 72.5 micrometers for 2.9 mm focal length (f).
The formula is f * tan(angle) = R.
Most answers seem to agree about using f.

Please tell me if I got anything wrong.

Philip