[3dem] Sample density in CryoEM

martyn.winn at stfc.ac.uk martyn.winn at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 19 06:36:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

Regarding nucleic acids, you may find Kantardjieff and Rupp, "Matthews coefficient probabilities: Improved estimates for unit cell contents of proteins, DNA, and protein–nucleic acid complex crystals", Protein Science 12, 1865-1871 (2003) useful. This is for the Matthews coefficient used in crystallography, which in turn assumes an estimate of the density of the protein or nucleic acid.
They quote a partial specific volume of nucleic acids of 0.5 cm3 / g, and they cite a couple of older references which may explain the variation (I haven't checked).

HTH
Martyn