[3dem] PhD opportunities

Aurélien FOUILLEN aurelien.fouillen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:03:31 PDT 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Having obtained a Master degree in Research Bioinformatics, Structural
Biochemistry and Genomics major Structural Biochemistry with distinction at
Marseille, I am seeking a PhD opportunity in order to complete my degree. I
have gained an overall knowledge in Biochemistry that confirms my interest
in proteins' characterisation, their folding and various molecular
mechanisms regulating organisms using biochemistry and biophysics methods.
That is why I would like to lead my future career in research. I am sure
that joining a laboratory will help me to develop these skills further and
learn more.

I had the opportunities to participate to several internships that allowed
me to know about various analysis technics in structural biology, genomics
and bioinformatics. It improved my skills in these different areas that are
the basis of our field.

When I started my practical experiences, I had a first approach of the
functioning of a laboratory and I could participate to protocols and share
knowledge with researchers.

Secondly, I trained with two units ("Bioenergetics and engineering of
Proteins" / "Laboratory of Bacterial Chemistry") during seven weeks. My
duties were about the study of molecular determinants leading on
molybdoenzyme's reactivity. Substitutions effects were estimated on
enzymatic' activities and physicochemical properties of the Molybden.
Results show the functional importance of the Molybden's coordination with
its protein ligand in the reactivity. This subject combines various
disciplines like microbiology, biochemistry and biophysics (RPE).

Finally, I have done a long term internship (Team "Biochimie Structurale
multi-échelle" of Dr Patrick BRON at the UMR INSERM 1054 / UMR CNRS 5048)
about structural studies of P2 protein of the Cauliflower Mosaic Virus
using Electronic Microscopy (EM) in cryogenics conditions, cryo-tomography
and crystallography. I could use different biochemical technics such as
protein purification, concentration and observe them with the EM. This
internship allowed me to improve my skills about biochemical
protocols and about the use of EM.

Joining a laboratory would be a rewarding experience and an accomplishment
for me and my career. I believe I would also be an asset to your team
according to my knowledge and skills in this field of research.

Moreover, I am very organized and I have strong teamwork behaviour. I am
really willing to learn new technics or new molecular mechanisms. Learning
and using my knowledge in a prestigious team would be very interesting to
me.

You can find at the end of the mail some referents.

Should you need any further information about my background and
qualifications, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Aurélien FOUILLEN

Reference:

Patrick BRON
email: Patrick.Broncbs.cnrs.fr <http://patrick.broncbs.cnrs.fr/>

Centre de Biochimie Structurale

29, rue de Navacelles
F-34090 Montpellier Cedex
France
Tel: 33 04 67 41
Fax: 33 04 67 41 79 13

Axel MAGALON
DIRECTEUR DE RECHERCHE - CNRS
Contact : magalon at imm.cnrs.fr
04 91 16 46 68

Stéphane GRIMALDI

Assistant Professor (Maitre de Conférences)
Aix-Marseille University - Department of Physics

Email : grimaldi at imm.cnrs.fr
Phone : (00 33) 491-164-557