[3dem] Fwd: J. Frank: 3D Electron Microscopy of Macromolecular Assemblies, Oxford U Press 2006

Joachim Frank jf2192 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 26 08:33:01 PDT 2012

I have become aware of the fact that some inferior copies of my book are
still being shipped out.  This is a problem that I brought to the
attention of Oxford U Press several years ago, and it was supposed to
have been addressed at the time for good.

As the original edition has run out some time ago, the book is printed
on demand.  Apparently a very inferior digital copy is used in some
productions by third parties.

Oxford U Press tells me that anybody who receives such a copy should
contact them, and will receive a high-quality replacement.

Telltale of the bad copy is the asymmetric placement and poor quality of
the cover.  Inside, some line drawings are faded out, the printed text
has hazy quality, some gray scale images are almost unrecognizable.

I call this bizarre state of affairs Gutenberg's Worst Nightmare.

Johannes Gutenberg

--Joachim.

--
Joachim Frank, Ph.D.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator,
(E)jf2192 at columbia.edu
http://franklab.cpmc.columbia.edu
http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/frank.html