[3dem] Any scripts to determine the rotation symmetry

Gomez, Yacob yacob.gomez at mssm.edu
Sat Oct 13 08:57:53 PDT 2012

In case you want to use Xmipp, follow the steps 10 to 14 of this Nature Protocols paper:
Scheres SH, Núñez-Ramírez R, Sorzano CO, Carazo JM, Marabini R., Nat Protoc. 2008;3(6):977-90
You would get a result like the figure 3, where you can select easily groups of particles according to their symmetry.

Assuming 64x64 images, centered and aligned, a simple script would be these 3 commands:
xmipp_make_spectra -i images.sel -o images.sim -x0 32 -y0 32 -r1 0 -r2 25
xmipp_classify_kerdensom -i images.sim -o kerd -xdim 7 -ydim 7 -reg0 1000 -reg1 200 -steps 5
xmipp_show -spectsom kerd -din images.sim

You should play with the parameters reg0, reg1, xdim and ydim. And also determine the radious r2 for your particles.

The input file "images.sel" is a "selection file": a text file with one line per file, followed by "1", that indicates the image is active. Each file should be a single image in Spider format.
Something like this:
my_images/image000357.spi 1
my_images/image000359.spi 1
my_images/image000371.spi 1