[3dem] cryo-EM structure of a DNA-origami object

Gary Battle battle at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 00:53:22 PST 2012

  In the field of nanotechnology, scientists have developed a technique
to construct nano-scale 3D objects out of DNA. This technique, called 3D
DNA-origami, has been used to design and construct a record-breaking DNA
object that contains an entire genome and is almost twice the size of a
prokaryotic ribosome.

Read the full story at: http://bit.ly/JRxHvT

The DNA-origami models contain almost 300,000 atoms spread out over 164
individual DNA strands and had to be split over 5 separate PDB entries.
It is the first structure deposited in the PDB that contains an entire
genome.

“The DNA-origami object presented a number of unique challenges,” said
Matthew Conroy, member of the annotation team at PDBe. “With that in
mind, we are very pleased that we were able to complete curation of this
mammoth structure within three days. It demonstrates how we must strive
to keep pace with the increasing number, size and complexity of
structures deposited with us."

The fully curated, record-breaking structure is freely available in the
EMDB (http://pdbe.org/emd-2210) and the fitted models can be explored in
the PDB (http://pdbe.org/2ymf, http://pdbe.org/2ymg,
http://pdbe.org/2ymh, http://pdbe.org/2ymi, and http://pdbe.org/2ymr).
For a closer, interactive look at the cryo-EM map together with the
fitted models, follow this link:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/emdb-srv/atlas/2210_openastexviewer.html

Gary Battle

--