[3dem] The Fifth Brazil School for Single Particle Cryo-EM (9-21 August 2012) Open for registration!

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 17 04:32:31 PDT 2012

Dear All,

After four successful schools in this bi-annual series, we are now
accepting registrations for:

The Fifth Brazil School for Single Particle Cryo-EM (9-21 August 2012)

This single-particle data processing school is an intensive hands-on
course/workshop, in which theory and practice are tightly intertwined.
The spectrum of topics covered suits attendees who are entirely new to
the field as well as those who wish to acquire an in-depth understanding
of the methodology. Topics range from data collection and
three-dimensional reconstruction techniques to the final interpretation
of the cryo-EM maps by fitting X-ray structures. The last days of the
meeting will be devoted to advanced topics such as dealing with
heterogeneous data sets ("4D" cryo electron microscopy) and
high-resolution refinements. A special emphasis will be placed this time
on the processing of massive data sets collected automatically with the
newest generation of microscopes (“KRIOS”).

The attendees are expected to bring along a modern notebook computer
onto which all necessary software will be installed. Most processing
will take place in the context of the IMAGIC software system but other
software packages such as Frealign will be used. Cryo-EM data sets will
be distributed for processing during the course. The participants may
bring their own data sets for processing and discussion.

The meeting will take place in the Grinberg's Village Hotel, which is
situated in the scenic countryside of Socorro, about 2 hours drive from
São Paulo.

For more information and registration see: www.single-particles.org/school/

Kind regards,

Marin van Heel

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     Cell Observatory
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL:     + 31 (0) 715271424
     Mobile NL:   + 31 (0) 652736618
     Skype:       Marin.van.Heel

     and:

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK

     Tel. UK:   + 44 (0) 20 75945316
     Mobile:    + 44 (0) 7941540625

     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)