[3dem] Image file format of Eagle 4K CCD and conversion

Marin van Heel m.vanheel at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 08:55:14 PDT 2012

Dear Homin Kim,

You can always convert to MRC or  IMAGIC format using the (free
download) EM2EM program starting from 16 bit TIFF.
If I understood things correctly, the newest version of EM2EM should
also be capable of reading of  *.SER directly (created by TIA) and
convert it to all other popular EM formats including IMAGIC and MRC. If
your version does not yet have that option you can use the OFFSET option
in EM2EM to jump over the 126 byte header just as  suggested by Sacha.
Conversion of the raw binary data should also be possible.  If you
experience any problems during the conversion please contact Ralf!

Cheers

Marin van Heel

=============================

On 23-Aug-12 11:28 AM, hohu78 at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have installed the Eagle 4K CCD camera from FEI on Tecnai G2 spirit.
> Because I only have experienced Gatan camera, I'm struggling to figure
> out this camera and software.
> Questions are
> 1. How to convert emi file format which is the basic option in eagle
> camera to MRC or IMAGIC format?
>     Is there any available free software?
> 2. Using export option in software, I can also save image as several
> formats,
>     like Tif (full resolution), Bmp(full resolution), JPG (full
> resolution), Raw binary (.bin), True image (.ebn).
>     Which file format is the best one for single particle analysis
> without losing the information of image?
> Anyone who have experiences, give me valuable suggestions, please.
> Many thanks,
> Best regards,
> Homin Kim
> Homin Kim, Ph D.
> Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)
> Graduate School of Medical Science and Engineering
> BioMedical Research Center(E7) Room 2102, KAIST
> 291 Daehak-ro, Yuseong-gu
> Daejeon, 305-701, Republic of Korea
> Phone: +82-10-7184-5521(Cellphone), +82-42-350-4244 (Office)
> FAX : +82-42-350-4240
> Email: hm_kim at kaist.ac.kr

     Marin van Heel

     Professor of Cryo-EM Data Processing

     Leiden University
     Cell Observatory
     NeCEN Building Room 05.27
     Einsteinweg 55
     2333 CC Leiden
     The Netherlands

     Tel. NL:     + 31 (0) 715271424
     Mobile NL:   + 31 (0) 652736618
     Skype:       Marin.van.Heel

     and:

     Professor of Structural Biology

     Imperial College London
     Faculty of Natural Sciences
     Division of Molecular Biosciences
     Biochemistry Building (Room 512)
     South Kensington Campus
     London SW7 2AZ,  UK

     Tel. UK:   + 44 (0) 20 75945316
     Mobile:    + 44 (0) 7941540625

     email:  marin.vanheel(A_T)gmail.com
     email:  m.vanheel(A_T)ic.ac.uk
     and:    mvh.office(A_T)gmail.com

I receive many emails per day and, although I try, there is no guarantee that I will actually read each incoming email. Moreover, our Spam filters can be strikt and sometimes make legitimate emails disappear (try the gmail accounts, alternatively)